Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pyelonephritis

OK, so I was home from the hospital a little over a week and started feeling bad about August 1. I had been feeling like I was running a fever...hot then chills. Ed went to get his hair cut and by the time he got back I was shivering so badly...took my temp and was running about 104....so he called ERs to see who was working. Ended up being admitted and eventually diagnosed with pyelonephritis...extreme kidney infection and bacteria in my blood stream. Long story short...I was on IV antibiotics until Tuesday (when I got out of hospital) and then oral antibiotics for another 2 weeks. It took a couple of weeks, but I made a full recovery...plus lost a few pounds (had no appetite).

Here is a link to some info about pyelonephritis: https://www.google.com/health/ref/Pyelonephritis

Ed tried to keep Liam home the first night with a bottle of pumped milk and even tried some formula....no dice. Liam did not go for it. He ended up staying with me in the hospital. (side note: they almost did not let me out of the hospital on Tuesday because I kept spiking a fever...finally realized it was from holding and nursing Liam...his body temp made mine go up)

Basically, the moral of the story is to make sure to take all antibiotics if you have an UTI or kidney infection and have the doc check with an urinalysis, especially if you are on pain meds (was taking the because of the c-section, so I never felt the severe back pain that would have been a clue).

No comments: